Every home needs a front doormat to keep the inside of the home clean. There are different types of doormat available and each doormat has slightly different features and benefits. For example, some of us living in colder conditions might want to consider indoor mats for winter and snow, while others with a pet might choose a doormat for dogs specifically.
When you want to buy an indoor doormat to feature in homes, your options are plenty. You can not just randomly choose one and be done with it. You need to consider various factors before finding exactly what indoor mat to choose.
Doormats can be made from polypropylene or cloth. It can be moisture resistant or look like grass. Many doormats can feature some design in bright shades or can be plain grey. It can have a rubber or vinyl backing to prevent slipping. Today you have a wider range of choices on Amazon to make your pick.
This guide to choosing the best indoor door mats will explain and walk through the different options.
8 Best Indoor Door Mats
An indoor mat will be very different from an outdoor doormat. They can be both functional as well as stylish. They can help protect your floors from your dogs or style your entrance. You can pick a combination as well. The doormat market on Amazon has a wide variety to choose from.
Here is our top 8 pick to adorn your floors –
1. Buganda Indoor Door Mat
The Buganda indoor mat is a low profile doormat. The Buganda mats are made for heavy-duty. You can place this outdoor or at the entrance of your home
- Catches mud and moisture
- Can be cleaned with a vacuum or a broom
- For a deeper clean you can wipe it with a damp cloth
- Does not dry very easily, after wash
- Vinyl backing can be slippery on wet floors
2. BeneathYourFeet Door Mat
The low profile welcome mat with a non-slip backing can be the right choice of a doormat for your home entrance, room doors as well as outdoor usage like your patio. The rough texture along with rubber on the side prevents the mat from sliding.
The stylish font will not fade away even when washed regularly. You can just shake off all the dust on a regular basis or if it gets too dirty, you can wash it with water.
- Efficient in trapping dirt and debris from shoes and boots
- Can be used as an indoor doormat as well as an outdoor doormat
- Clean and maintain with ease
- Using it on a wet surface might make it slippery
- Comes only with the word “hello”
3. TTN Home Microfiber Non-Slip Rubber Backing Door Mat
A microfiber doormat made of high quality, suitable for both indoor-outdoor use. The manufacturer is sure about the quality and guarantees satisfaction for their product. If you are not happy with it, you can return it within 30 days.
- The non-slip rubber backing makes it ideal for all surfaces
- Can be used both inside and outside
- A large number of pattern, design, and color choices
- Ideal for homes with pets
- Absorbs water, perfect for wiping shoes and wet feet on, before entering the room
- Cannot be washed in the washing machine regularly as the fibers may come off
- Using heat to clean them can ruin the microfiber as well as the rubber
4. Coco Coir Door Mat
The Coco Coir door mat is made from coconut husk, making it very eco-friendly. Coconut husk can look unique and add a touch of green to your eco-friendly home or make a statement at the entrance. They are rough and sturdy enough to be used outdoor. Many high traffic areas feature them as they are very durable.
Though you can wash them in a washing machine, they are pretty easy to clean. A garden hose can wash off all the dirt after you shake off all the debris.
If your home features modern furnishings, this coir doormat might stand out like a sore thumb.
- Made of natural coir and is environmentally friendly
- Versatility -Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Effective defense against tough dirt and sand
- Rubber backing prevents the mat from sliding
- Can withstand various weather conditions
- Not comfortable for barefoot or paws
- Can be scratchy and coarse
- Does not come in interesting designs or fun patterns to suit the modern decor
- Might need scraping tools in addition to a broom to clean the dirt
- It will take time to dry when washed
5. Gorilla Grip Durable Natural Rubber Door Mat
The Gorilla Grip door mat made from natural rubber is very sturdy and helps keep the house clean. The mesh weave feature in the polypropylene fabric helps in trapping dirt as well as debris. It is slightly raised and makes it easy to trap debris from your shoes before entering the house. The rubber border helps in trapping moisture.
Consider using it on your patio for trapping sand as cleaning it is very easy. You can just sweep the debris with a broom or shake it off. If you want to clean more, apply mild soap and hose it down with water and let it air-dry outdoors.
- Stylish designs and shapes to make your home look pretty
- Heavy-duty and Durable
- Perfect for high traffic areas
- Polypropylene is very easy to clean
- 10-year warranty
- The slightly raised design might not be comfortable to be used with barefoot
- Rubber backing might harm certain flooring or surfaces
6. Delxo Magic Doormat
The Delxo magic doormat is a large and durable mat that does not slide when you land on it. It is a low profile doormat made from cotton and microfiber material.
Pick it for a welcome mat to adorn your entrance – impress your guests and get those compliments. You can even pick it for your kitchen or the kid’s room if you prefer.
You can find a 24 x 36-inch option of this mat on Amazon.
- Highly absorbent – perfect for your kitchen or kids room where mess can be high
- Water-resistant and does not feel like a damp cloth when used on a wet surface
- Machine Washable
- Can give off a lot of lint during initial usage and wash
- Regular machine wash might cause the fibers to come off
7. Indoor Buffalo Plaid Rug
If you are looking for something soft and unique, the Buffalo plaid rug is a worthy pick that you will love. The mat is made from cotton and polyester, making it a great option for both outdoor usage as well as in your home.
You can use this mat beneath your outdoor welcome mat or have it as a stand-alone mat indoors if you prefer it that way. It is thin and offers sufficient clearance under the door.
Unlike other plaid mats, these are made with squares of different colors that can instantly brighten up any place in your home. The black and white edition which customers love might get dirtied easily.
- The mat is made from heavy-duty material that does not give way easily
- Environmentally friendly – made from cotton
- Space-saving as it is thin and can be rolled up when not needed
- It is machine washable, making it easy to maintain
- You can even iron out the wrinkles after washing
- Size may vary as it is hand made
- It May not last very long if dried in the sun
8.VersaTex Multi-Purpose Recycled Rubber Floor Mat
If you are looking for strong doormat options then this could be a great pick. It is 0.11 inches thick – designed to be used in your garage for keeping lots of heavy things like tools, underneath your sink or even on your deck. It can avoid tracking bacteria, dirt particles, and the black color makes it a great option for outdoor.
- Durable rubber backing lasts a very long time
- Environment friendly as its constructed from recycled materials
- It can protect your flooring from damage
- You can wipe it clean
- Great for paws
- withstands extreme weather conditions
- It May not look very chic – lacks pattern
- Can’t be used to sweep messes
Indoor Doormat FAQs
Why Should I Have An Indoor Doormat?
A doormat will not only help keep your feet and floor clean but can also add a personal touch to your home’s style or decor. It can be stylish, soft and impress your guests when they enter your home. You can opt for mats with beautiful designs, unique patterns and different sizes to amp up the style of a space.
Indoor door mats can also be functional. Let’s say you spilt something on the floor or something is stuck to your bare feet. You cannot step outdoors to wipe your feet clean nor can you let the dirt be stuck to your feet. The first thing you need to do is clean it, and a doormat exactly does just that.
How do I choose an interior door mat?
A doormat can keep your house neat and make the place look beautiful too. There are many to pick from. You can pick –
- A mat-based on your flooring. Vinyl flooring will require a different mat from marble flooring.
- Functional mats to keep your feet and flooring free from dirt and to prevent germs from entering the apartments to keep you safe.
- Attractive patterns to hang on the wall in three different sizes to make it an interesting wall decor.
- A polypropylene mat with line patterns can brighten up your room
- Fluffy ones can be a nice welcome for bare feet
- Mats that blend in or bring-out the colors in your apartment
- You can opt for a bright color like blue, yellow or orange
- Do not opt for a white mat for the foyer if you live in high pollution area
- If the flooring is slippery, opt for a rubber backing
- A different shape that can look attractive and make a fashion statement
- If you have pets, ensure the doormat must be comfortable for the paws
You can find a wide range to pick from, on Amazon.
What makes a good doormat?
A great door mat should satisfy the following:
- Should ideally come in different sizes and easily fit most doors if you live in a standard sized apartment
- Good quality mat that lays flat like a line and does not slide
- Durable in all weather conditions
- Mild dirt should be easy to clean with mild soap or vacuum.
- Deliver great value for money
- Improve your home’s style and impress guests
- Feel nice under bare feet as well as paws
- Ensure it matches rest of the decor
- Should not leave a track of liquid when used to wipe
Should doormats be inside or outside?
It depends on what type of doormat you are using and where you live. There are indoor door mats as well as mats for outdoors too. The placement is a personal choice.
A soft mat in light colors including white, is generally used indoors. Soft cotton doormats with rubber around the border or rubber backing kind can be used outside bathrooms.
A coir doormat or a wrought iron doormat can be used outdoors to wipe or clean your shoes on, before entering the house. These are rough and hard when compared to the indoor doormats. They help in catching the dirt and debris from shoes and pollution outside. Makes them an excellent pick to avoid messes.
Many of these can be interchangeably used too.
How Should I Keep My Indoor Door Mat Clean?
You can vacuum the door mat on a regular basis to keep all the dirt away. A hand held vacuum is a safer bet. In case of tough stains and grit, apply some mild soap and rinse off the stain. Then hang it under the sun to fully air dry. Opt for gray or darker colors as they will not get dirtied easily.
How big should an indoor doormat be?
It depends on your usage. If its for the foyer or hallway you can pick big sizes, to make a statement. When it comes to other rooms or rest of the apartment, it should be of standard size that can fit most doorways. Measure the doorway you are planning to buy indoor mats for. Some styles can be a few sizes bigger than the doorway while some can be small too. Small sizes fits almost all spots.
Mats measuring more than an inch tend to get caught below doors
No matter what sizes you opt for, pick a doormat that fits your requirement and matches your decor. It has to be thin so that it does not get stuck under the door. Most importantly, it should not slide and should be effective in cleaning the sand, and grime off shoes and boots.
What goes under a doormat?
Generally, many mats are just placed on the floors. If you are using these mats on vinyl flooring, pick a mat with rubber backing or rubber border to prevent it from sliding or slipping; something like a wrought iron or a a non slip mat under the doormat.
How thick should a front door mat be?
It can be thick and fluffy as it is the first thing a person will notice when they enter. However, it should not get in the way of the door when you want to close it.
How long does a doormat last?
A good quality doormat must last you a few years, if maintained well. Many mats used in high traffic areas last just more than a year. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to get the best out of your doormats.
Why is it good for a doormat to be rough?
Rough and hard doormats will trap dirt and debris more effectively. They will not give way when you clean your shoes on them regularly. Such variety are generally used around the front door. These cannot be machine washed. You might need a scraping tool or a garden hose to get rid of everything trapped in it.
More Articles related to indoor and outdoor Mats: