With 2013 well underway, we’ve all got resolutions or goals in mind for how to carry out a more successful, productive year. If organizing your life and keeping a simple, clean home is in order we’ve developed 10 tips and tricks that are a surefire way to get you on the right track.
1. Clear off your kitchen countertops: Your kitchen is where a lot of the time is spent in the home. Clearing the countertops can be the best first step in making a major dent in the de-cluttering process.
2.Change up the color palette: Mixing and matching bold patterns can breathe new life into your space.
3. Make Your Bed: Making the bed can lead to a more productive day, and a better, more restful sleep at night.
4. Go paperless: Scanning, shredding and digitally filing documents can be a super-clutter saver. Keeping just one small filing drawer can help you keep all the important documents in one place. Sign up for digital statements through your bank to start the process.
5. Simplify your furniture: Think you need that giant dresser? What about a coffee table? Big, bulky dining room hutches? Many of these furniture pieces are just dust collectors that more clutter occupies. Now, obviously not everyone needs to live so extreme– but even if you can weed out some of the smaller unnecessary pieces you are off to a good start!
6. Take advantage of vertical space: Vertical space gets overlooked all too often. If you’ve got a great collection of books, vintage records or tchotchkes display them vertically for a cohesive look.
7. Clean out each room, one by one: Start with one room and tackle it in its entirety. Just pick one, grab a trash bag and GO!
8. Create a 30 day list: In order to keep the clutter and excess at bay, think twice before buying anything new. A good rule of thumb if you’re an impulse buyer is to create a 30 day list. Create a list every time there is something new that you want, and after 30 days review the list to determine if you still want it.
9. Leave at least 10% free space: Wherever it may be– the closet, the cabinets, the bookshelf. Leave 10% free space for those things that make it past your 30 day list and into the home.
10. Set a cleaning schedule: Create an effective cleaning schedule that works for you and your family. Whether it’s daily, weekly, biweekly or monthly; you can keep a clean and happy home at your own pace.